Sunday, April 18, 2010

Charity quilt

Someone on one of my Yahoo groups, Sewgoodfriends, posted a link for Quilts for Kids, a charity quilt organization. You sign up with them and they send you precut fabric for a small quilt (mine is about 38.5 inches by 45 inches. They also include directions and a label. All the quilter needs to do it contribute thread, batting and of course the time. They also urge you to make a second quilt out of your own stash to send along. I have the 1st one done! The quilt itself was pretty easy to do, but I spent a lot of time on the quilting (they want it to be dense, because once the quilts get to the hospital it will be subjected to daily washings), using this as a place to try out some new techniques available with the accufil features on my Janome 11K. The focus fabric is of skateboarder and includes a 'bam' or 'pow' shaped star, so I took off with that and put 6 stars in the focus blocks and then 4 stars in the 4 patch blocks. I tried out the stippling feature on the boarders. I learned a lot about using the embroidery machine for quilting!

I'll have to look through my stash and see if I can find some 'girly' fabric for a second one. It seems from all of the ones the members of our group received they were all 'boy' fabrics!



2 comments:

  1. Hey, I did that with a bunch of gals when I went home to ND in Feb./March. The gals put them together and I quilted them:) You did a great job quilting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awesome work, I just completed two of these last month myself, for Quilts For Kids!

    ReplyDelete