I have had several time offs this school year - well two, specifically surgeries! Had carpel tunnel on the left hand last summer but then had the carpel tunnel and suspension plasty done on the right hand in December. Have recovered from both nicely though the right hand will never have the 'flatness' of the left hand and is still a bit weak. Was off for a 6 weeks just before Christmas for the right hand.
 |
| Left hand about 10 days out just before stitches removed and cast put on |
 |
| Cast was on for 6 weeks - total of about 8 weeks incapacitated. Did well enough not to require any PT! |
I am now off for a couple of weeks with the partial knee replacement of the left knee. Had that surgery last Tuesday and hope to be back to work NEXT Tuesday. Had a visit from PT today and she took the dressing off so we could see how it looks (very good, though bruised, but that is normal) and she said that my range of motion was very good considering it is only a 6 days out.
 |
| Just before getting dressed and heading home. The blue at the top is the bladder for the ice machine and the blue at the bottom is the connector. |
 |
| The ICE MACHINE! Filled with ice and then fill most of the way with cold water. Connects via the blue cable to the bottom of the leg. There is a small motor in the chest to circulate the ice water. Using it 24/7 except when on the CPM machine. |
 |
| 6 days after surgery. PT said it looked really good. Leg is straight both directions. Sure felt good to get the bandages off for even a few minutes. Ankle not swollen or bruised. Bruising there is normal. |
The second and third days after surgery were the worst, with the body recovering from anesthesia (they did a spinal along with a light general) and also sore from trying to figure out which chair was best to sit in to keep leg raised. I was using muscles I hadn't even said hello to in a long time! Friday was turn around day. Saturday I felt well enough to go to my quilting group, though with taking a foot stool, walker and the ice machine, Dave mentioned it was like reminiscent of taking a toddler on a trip!
Speaking of chairs - I bought a new one at Sewing Expo in late February and it arrived at the beginning of April. It is a "Heavenly Sewing" chair, and is NOT cheap! With retirement coming, I decided I needed one last item for the Sewing Studio! Can hardly wait to get back to sewing and use it. It is great because it has lumbar support and the back moves in to support your back even when you are sitting forward!
What a brave lady you are I hope your recovery is swift
ReplyDelete